Wednesday, July 14, 2010

request to attend

I've received a jury summons in the post. This is my 4th, and I've been on 2 juries. The first jury that I sat on was a bit of a disaster. A woman was caught smuggling drugs into the country. several kilos were hidden in the lining of her enormous suitcase. The question that we faced was did she know that they were there? Unfortunately some of the jury had decided before they heard the evidece that she was guilty and some had decided that she was innocent. We could not reach a verdict. the judge declared a hung jury, we were released and I STILL don't know if she was an incredibly naive dupe or an unlucky courier, I suspect the latter.

In this blog about jury service, I will not mention any names or give identifying information about the trial.

No comments: